Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Favorite MP3/OGG Player
What is your favorite music player in Linux?
What is your favorite music player in Linux?
Xmms (x11amp) [ 9 ] ** [50.00%]
mpg123 (mpg321) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
mp3blaster [ 1 ] ** [5.56%]
amaroK [ 4 ] ** [22.22%]
Juk [ 1 ] ** [5.56%]
Kaffeine [ 1 ] ** [5.56%]
MythTV (mythmusic) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Zinf [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Other [ 2 ] ** [11.11%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Corey
post Oct 26 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I know most people will probably vote for XMMS, because the fact of the matter is that it's been around for so long, and so closely resembles Winamp (probably the most popular MP3 player in Windows). When I first started with Linux, i know that i used x11amp (now XMMS) because it was pretty much the only graphical MP3 application available for Linux. Nowadays there are a ton.

When Apple released iTunes for Windows last year, I fell in love with it, and ever since i've been searching for something similar for Linux, some have come close, but not all. Here is a quick run down on the selections:

XMMS - Probably the most popular due to its ease of use, it's age and maturity, and it's similarities with Winamp for Windows.

mpg123 - A console mp3 application, many other mp3 players are based off of mpg123 (mpg321)

mp3blaster - Another console mp3 application but with a graphical frontend (using curses), it's quite nice when using ssh to a server.

amaroK - A really nice KDE music player, includes playlist options similar to iTunes, as well as a really nice and functional cover manager for your full albums

Juk - Another KDE application, also has a nice music organization library.

Kaffeine - Mainly a Video application, but also supports music files with it's playlists.

MythTV - An all-in-one graphical application, great for home media centers. Includes plugins for Music, Video, DVD, TV, Weather, Web Browser and more

Zinf - An application that is being touted as the most similar to iTunes (even has comparisons on its homepage with other audio applications like Juk. Personally, I couldn't get this to work that well, but it has received good reviews.

My vote is for amaroK. I only came across this app a few weeks ago, but I fell in love with it, and it's cover manager is soooo nice. reminds me a lot of iTunes, and is much better than Juk or Zinf.

I know i'm probably missing a nice few, these are the only ones i could think of off the top of my head.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
crazytim
post Oct 28 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,050

I'm using rhythmbox for all my music playing now. It's apparently quite similar to itunes (but as I've never used itunes I can't comment:unsure:).

http://www.rhythmbox.org/

Tim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 01:19 AM