Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I Run A Good Linux On This Computer, i need linux
linuxiscool69
post Oct 21 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,999

I have a pentum 1 200 mhz computer with 64megs of ram and a 2.5 gig hard drive and i cant find a good linux for it can anyone help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 22 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Vector Linux, Feather Linux, Damn Small Linux will run on that machine.

All these distros are supposed to run well on older machines.

I don't use them ... personally, I use either Gentoo or Debian stripped down with XFCE4.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 22 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 3

When it comes to slower machines, I usually use Debian. My last server was a 486/66 with 64mb ram, and that was running debian 3.0 and was pretty good. However, when it comes to a graphical interface, you might want to stick with a stripped down WindowManager like Blackbox or even WindowMaker might work.

Perhaps the 3.3.x tree of XFree86 might be a little quicker on old hardware rather than using the 4.x tree. Can anyone else give any input into that?

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 22 2004, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 1,151

I am big on only installing software that continues to get security updates if the machine is going to connect to the internet ... So I wouldn't recommend using a no longer supported version of XFree86. Here is what they say about the 3.3.x branch
XFree86 3.3.6 is no longer supported as of February 2002. There will neither be future updates nor fixes to this version, and bug reports and support questions related to this release will be ignored. This because despite our many attempts, the XFree86 Project could not fnd any interested in maintaining this branch, and so bowing to the inevitable, we have retired this series.

The oldest version of XFree86 that is supported is 4.3.x.

I use x.org 6.8.1 on a Pentium II 233 laptop with 128mb of RAM and XFCE4 as my Desktop Environment (it uses xfwm4 as the window manager).

I think it works as well as what I used to have installed on that laptop (which was a fluxbox windows manager and XFree86 4.3.x).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 11:48 PM