Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Big Question, Choosing a Linux distribution
Dinero
post Oct 19 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570

I'm sure its very hard to say, but what is the best version of linux? I mean, I've tried to install things in linux and stuff with the whole make, make install blah blah, and have to install RPMs to allow that function to work, but have to install RPMs that allow for the installation of RPMs for the RPMs required to install the RPMs needed to install make and make install.

So its more along the lines of the easiest to use and most well designed. I've heard good things about Red hat, Fedora is pretty bad in my opinion and SUSE sucks. So far I haven't tried much, but I'm thinking of perminantly switching over, who can say what is the best?

--------------------
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dUc0N
post Jan 28 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,594

Not sure if this will help tremendously, but I just decided to switch away from Slackware, probably to Fedora Core, though I'll likely be test-driving Mandrake and Debian as well. Thought I might post the rationale behind that change.

The main reason for my switch has to do with the fact that Slackware still doesn't have quite the following that Fedora Core does. Since Fedora Core 1 was essentially Red Hat 10 with different branding, its user base and developer communities are HUGE. As a relative 'n00b' myself, I think that this will make it a lot easier to learn how to handle Linux and become competent with it before I try and move to a less-used distro. It's also very good in terms of software compatibility... most software for Linux that I've seen is released as source and/or RPMs. There are utilities such as the one used to change RPMs into Slackware's 'tgz' packages, but this generally isn't recommended. The main reason though, is that when things go wrong with Fedora Core, it's looking like there will be more places to turn to for help.

The best advice I could give you right now is what I'm already doing:
  • Go to your local equivalent of a PC Club and find the spindles of about 100 blank, cheap CD-Rs for like $20. Get one, it'll last you a few years ;-)
  • Burn as many distros as you want to try and think you'll have room for. Some, like Debian, allow for internet-based installations, so you only need one CD.
  • Partition your drive off (they can share the same swap partition, just try to keep each root directory on the same physical drive as its swap)
  • Install the distros and play with them, see which one you like

Once I'm done with this, I'll try and post up what I thought of each.

--------------------
// dUc0N //
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:05 PM