Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Big Question, Choosing a Linux distribution
Dinero
post Oct 19 2004, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570

I'm sure its very hard to say, but what is the best version of linux? I mean, I've tried to install things in linux and stuff with the whole make, make install blah blah, and have to install RPMs to allow that function to work, but have to install RPMs that allow for the installation of RPMs for the RPMs required to install the RPMs needed to install make and make install.

So its more along the lines of the easiest to use and most well designed. I've heard good things about Red hat, Fedora is pretty bad in my opinion and SUSE sucks. So far I haven't tried much, but I'm thinking of perminantly switching over, who can say what is the best?

--------------------
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edge0099
post Apr 7 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,525

Hello everyone! Newbie here, haven't really even used Linux yet, but I just started taking some Microsoft classes , so now & for some obvious reasons, I'm looking into trying out something else as far as an OS goes.
I recently used A virutal machine to boot up mint 11 & man she was a beauty!! Everything seemed to just flow & click naturally using only 2GB of RAM, & I loved the capability to pretty much customize just about everything!

Unfortunately, I was only able to play around with it for about 30 minutes & some really fun & interesting things happened when I tried to shut it down. I'm fairly certain that it had nothing to do with the Linux distro, but it took some hard negotiating to get my hardware resorces, (at the time my pc was running on 3GB of RAM total) back to my x86 windows vista OS, which inevitably lead to a 2 week long, complete hardware & system overhaul for my PC.

Long story short, my old stock store bought PC is now running on a x64 system like my HP Pavillion M8100N was built to do. I've maxed out the ram (8GB high performance) & upgraded the OS to Windows Vista Ultimate x64, upgraded the PSU to 600W, added a PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti graphics card, & another 2TB hard drive which has really opened the doors to having some real fun. WOW!! I've only been running half my PC for the past couple years!! The difference is pretty phenominal, but I can't help but feel that Windows is still bogging everything down. I actually do use my PC for tons of different multimedia related applications, from using the media center as a server for all my home networking with my other pcs & gaming consoles, to video & audio editing & conversion, creation & editing apps like adobe photoshop CS2, dreamweaver, gimp, to gaming, & not to mention school.

That's where you guys come in!!

I want some Linux in my blood!!! & here's where it all starts. I've done plenty of research on all the different distros & it's really enough to make your head spin if you read too far into them. As a long time windows user I'd like something that's not going to take too much time to get running & keep running, but I also am extremely looking forward to the open source freedom without all the extra weight that I hear so much about from Linux.

I'm looking at Mint & Ubuntu.

They both have a huge following, so support seems to be around every corner & they are both HIGHLY recommended, &/or I'd say to some point religiously loved by their users:)

I guess I'm not looking for the possibly never to be known answer as to which is the better distro. I think I'm actually asking you guys which would be best for me?

Considering what I currently use my sytem for, which one would best fit my needs? I plan on dual booting, but from the 2nd hard drive so I'll have plenty of space to play with, & plan on USING the Linux distro & probably even making it my main OS so I'll want to add all the same apps & things that I have on windows already, if possible..

Any Linux Guru, Please Advise!! smile.gif
Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:45 AM