Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iso File Behavior, Downloaded ISO files disappear
RLAnderson
post Feb 3 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 383

In the process of installing RedHat 8.0, I downloaded ISO files several times into the Linux partition in directory /tmp/RedHat-8.0/iso. I also downloaded image files into /tmp/RedHat-8.0/images. The ISO files disappearded but the image files remained. I resolved the issue by downloading the ISO files on my Window98 partition and installing RedHat 8.0 by pointing the linux install app to the Windows directory. Does anyone know why the ISO files disappear after a certain period of time in the Linux environment?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Feb 6 2003, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm not too familier with Redhat 8.0, however, it sounds like there's a utility in Redhat that cleans out the /tmp directory periodically. It may check for files over a certain size and get rid of them. There's really nothing wrong with this, because by rights, stuff shouldn't sit in the /tmp directory too long anyways. After each reboot it should be cleared out, any important files should be stored elsewhere. It sounds like a pretty good idea for people who with large uptimes, they don't have to continuosly dump their /tmp before it gets overfilled.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
chrism01
post Feb 14 2003, 05:50 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 435

Concur with tourettes: /tmp is the system scratch area and should be cleaned regularly.
If you want to store files for eg install use /opt and create a sub-dir for each one. Easier to tidy up later.

--------------------
Cheers
Chris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 06:00 PM