Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Setting Up A Gateway...
beebs
post Oct 16 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,729

Hi,

I've been having a lot of trouble setting up a gateway using OpenBSD3.5, if you can help or need some more info please ask!

Here's my situation:

Internet <> External Router <> OpenBSD Firewall <> Internal Router <> PC's

The External router has IP 10.0.0.1, the Internal Router and PC's have IP's of 192.168.1.x. The OpenBSD firewall has 2 NICs, the external one has IP 10.0.0.2 and the Internal has 192.168.1.3.

From the openBSD system I can ping the external router and the internal router and PC's, but not any internet servers. On the Internal PC's running windows, I have set the default gateway to that of the openbsd system, but they are unable to connect to either the external router or the internet.

If anyone can help me resolve this I would be really grateful, ive been trying for hours now.

Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 17 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

If your setup is as you have detailed, it won't work.

You seem to have 3 boxes ...

an external router (outside ip based on ISP, internal IP 10.0.0.1)
a firewall (external IP 10.0.0.2, internal IP 192.168.1.3)
an internal router (external IP 192.168.1.x, internal ip also 192.168.1.x)

If you have an internal router (which isn't required), then you will need to have it's internal and external interfaces be on different networks ... a router can't route on the same network/subnet. So if you really wanted the internal router (again, I don't see why it is needed), then you would need to do something like this:

an external router (outside ip based on ISP, internal IP 10.0.0.1)
a firewall (external IP 10.0.0.2, internal IP 192.168.1.3)
an internal router (external IP 192.168.1.1, internal ip 192.168.0.1)

All PCs would be on the 192.168.0.x netowrk and have the internal router as their default gateway...or just remove the inner router altogether and set 192.168.1.3 as the default gateway with all the PCs on the 192.168.1.x network.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:16 PM