Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iptables, problem in finding and patching iptables
ch_sujith
post Oct 15 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,959

Hey can any one help me

I am using fedora core 2 installation
Now I want to work on traffic control using layer7 filter
So for that I need to patch iptables
I am new to linux

But in my installation I cant find source code for iptables.. I am confused where to patch it… bcoz I cant find that directory … I can see the iptables as an executable file in /sbin directory… is it the location to patch??????? I did so but it didn’t work out

Then when I downloaded a new iptables files from netfilter.org and placed in /usr/src/linux and when I executed the commands as given in a documentation page

Next up we will compile the IPtables package. To do so, enter in the following commands from the IPtables directory.
make pending-patches KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux
make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux
make install KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux

it shows the following error

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h:6:2: #error including kernel header in userspace; use the glibc headers instead.

What does it mean? How exactly to patch iptables and where I can find iptables directory in my installation

Help greatly appreciated ;

Looking for rescue

sujith
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 18 2004, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

iptables is part of the kernel .... and redhat/fedora patches the crap out of the stock kernel, so getting a patch designed to run on a stock kernel to apply to a FC2 kernel would be very unlikely ...

But, if you want to try, you would need to install the kernel-source (or kernel-sourcecode) package that matches with your current kernel.

Once the kernel-source is installed, you should use the kernel source version that matches your kernel.

To see your kernel version do this:

uname -r

the result for me is:

2.6.8-1.521

so I would use:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.8-1.521

instead of:

/usr/src/linux

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:33 AM