Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please Help With Installing Drivers
Arcadie
post Oct 12 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,939

Hi,
I just installed linux RH 9.0 on a brand new machine. it works perfectly but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the drivers for the network card. i have the drivers on a diskett. if theres anyone but im not sure how to get the drivers from the diskett to the HD or were exactly to put them. i have read the README's and Manuals but cannot figure it out. The motherboard is a asus pc-dl delux and i need to install drivers for the onboard lan. anyone that can help i would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you!!!!!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 12 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

That is a nice board:

http://usa.asus.com/products/server/srv-mb...dl/overview.htm

Do you have the single or dual processors?
----------------
I would recommend that you don't use RedHat 9 ... there is no longer any RedHat support for that OS, so there is no official updates.

I would recommend that you instead use CentOS or WhiteBox Enterprise Linux. These are fully functional RHEL 3 AS clones that get updates on a regular basis. See this article concerning enterprise linux.

I believe the e1000 will work with the default install of WBEL or CentOS ... and the install will be exactly like the RH9 install you just did. See this thread to see what can happen if you use an OS that doesn't do security updates:

http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...t=ST&f=3&t=4849

----------------
(you should need to do this if you use WBEL or CentOS)

I downloaded the driver from here

Put the file in a directory and issue the command:

unzip LAN_Linux.zip

then change directories to the LINUX directory...

cd LINUX

then read the readme file ... e1000.txt ... it explains exactly how to install the driver.

Before you start, make sure you have the kernel-source package installed from the Linux OS installation CD.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:39 AM