Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Remove Proftpd?, And check if there are other FTP servers
Maarten_Holland
post Oct 2 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,881

Hi all,

I've got some problems with my SuSE Linux 9.1 box: I've installed ProFTPd several weeks ago but can't remember what I did exactly (noob alert!).

When I make changes to /etc/proftpd.conf, these don't seem to affect proftpd. When I run /usr/sbin/ProFTPd stop, followed by /usr/sbin/ProFTPd start (or /usr/sbin/ProFTPd start -c /etc/proftpd.conf) my changes are not applied.

When I run /usr/sbin/ProFTPd stop I can still connect using my FTP client. I get the feeling there is another FTP server running or /usr/sbin/ProFTPd is not the right script to run.

When I search for 'ftp' using the package manager in YaST, it doesn't find anything. I like to delete all FTP-packages, and especially ProFTPd, to try a new install.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thank you in advance,

Maarten
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 3 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Here's a few command line tricks.

First off, to do a search for ftp packages, open up your konsole window and su as root. Then run the following command:

rpm -qa | grep ftp

That should give you a list of packages with 'ftp' in the name.

Also, after you make changes to a configuration file, you need to restart the service. Most distributions have start-stop files in /etc/init.d/ , i'm pretty sure SuSE is like this to, so you should be able to execute (as root):

/etc/init.d/proftpd restart

and that will restart the service.

If you just want to remove the ftp package, after you find out the name from rpm -qa | grep ftp , you can remove it with the following:

say it finds proftpd-xx.xx.xx , remove it with:

rpm -e proftpd

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:16 AM