Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse Linux 9.1 And Make Rpm, Having problems installing make rpm
bpells
post Oct 1 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,876

I downloaded SuSE Linux 9.1 and installed it. Since it is a basic version and it doesn't recognize my modem, I tried installing a driver. That is when I discovered that "make" isn't included in the installation. I went to the SuSE web site and downloaded (using another computer)
make-3.80-184.src.rpm.

I haven't used RPMs much so I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of it. Anyway I typed (as root)
rpm -i make-3.80-184.src.rpm
I didn't get any errors or confirmations. All it did was drop down to the next line. It didn't install.

Can anyone help me know what to do to install this file.

bpells
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 3 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

all the development tools should be included in YaST, so, you should setup your package sources to an online ftp.

Either way, when you see an rpm with *.src.rpm , that means the rpm is a source package, and it needs to be built first in order to use it. You'll have to consult documentation because i realy don't remember how to do this.

Anyways, if you want to manually build source packages, you'll need the following rpms:

automake-1.8.3-23.i586.rpm
autoconf-2.59-75.i586.rpm
make-3.80-184.i586.rpm
m4-1.4o-622.i586.rpm
gcc-3.3.3-41.i586.rpm

There may be other packages that are dependant on these, if you don't setup your package sources for ftp, then you grab any dependancies from here:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ftp.suse.com.../9.1/suse/i586/

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:12 AM