Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diskless Boot Hanging
kiteflyer
post Sep 30 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,868

Hi,
I'm trying to boot RedHat 9, 2.4.20-8 on a diskless client. It (the client) proceeds as far as
enabling swap space: [OK]
then reports
modprobe: can't open dependencies file <directories>modules.dep
and stops. It will only proceed any further if I then type "I" to get into interactive mode.
I don't have the file in question as the kernel is module-less. Also, it reports this error earlier in the boot, but proceeds past it without any problems, so why does it stop and wait for me to go into interactive mode instead of carrying on on its own?
Obviously, this is not viable for a remote system boot if I have to connect a keyboard to get it to boot all the way.

Any help will be well appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 4 2004, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I would think the easiest thing to do is create a blank directory in /lib/modules called 2.4.20-8.
--------------------
If that doesnt work, try putting nomodules on your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/1 nomodules

(that is just a standard kernel line with a space and nomodules added to the end, use your current kernel line and add a space and nomodules to the end of it).
------------------
If that doesn't work, you will need to modify the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to remove the sections that will not load (basically anything that does modprobe or depmod).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:20 AM