Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

> How To Compile My Own Linux ?
post Sep 26 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,842

Linux is a Free Open Source Operating System.

But How can i Compile My Own Linux.
I am a newbie to Linux.

I am using Windows XP and want to install Linux but first i want to compile Linux on this machine and then install it.

How can this be done ?
What all do i need and where can i get it ?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
post Sep 26 2004, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,692

To run linux on most machines , you don't need to compile your own , just find a distro that you like . Try HERE for more information as to which one you might like . I would suggest you try Knoppix or Slax both are " Live CD's " and don't install to your HDD . So you can try it out before you install . If your really want something very close to M$ , try SUSE 9.1 Live , very polished look , with power of Linux .

Registered Linux User # 365305
The Linux Counter
Come on and get registered.
+Quote Post
post Sep 27 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

dizzy_poet is right ... with most newer linux distros, you don't normally need to compile anything (except maybe a couple hardware drivers) to get a full linux install.

If you have no current Linux/UNIX experience, I would suggest that you try a live CD first as well.

If you like the live CD, I recommend either Mandrake 10.1 or Fedora Core 2 as your first real install (or SUSE 9.1 if you want to pay for the CD).

If you do have some UNIX or Linux experience and you want to compile items to learn how everything works, then I would recommend Linux From Scratch.

I learned more about Linux by going through thier book and building from scratch than I did from any other source. I personally don't recommend this as your main PC, but it is a great learning experience. Once you have mastered LFS (do it a couple times so you understand what you are doing), then a Gentoo install is possible.

Johnny Hughes
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2018 - 03:49 PM