Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Screen Resolustion Causes Black Screen
Rectifier
post Sep 8 2004, 09:04 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,728

Whenever I try and change the resolution on my FC1 install it saves the file and tells me to restart X Server, when I do this it always shows a black screen, it does a BIOS beep telling me that I can login, when I hit "alt - ctrl - +/-" it sets the monitor resolution to 800x600, how come I can't set the monitor res to 1024x768 along with FC1 without it giving me a black screen? I have the latest drivers for my GeForce 2 MX400 graphics card, and if I have my resolution set to 800x600 it always displays the NVidia logo telling me the drivers are installed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Sep 8 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This is all monitor dependant. You should find out what your monitor's HorizSync and VertRefresh rate is and edit your config files to match it. Fedora and other major distributions are normally pretty good at guessing this stuff, but I know with my older 14" KTX monitor, I had to manually edit my config file in order for me to get 1024x768.

I don't recall if FC1 uses XFree86 or X.org's X-server, however, when you get your rates for the above mentioned settings, then open up one of the two files and edit them at the following sections:

/etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4, this is for XFree86)
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (for X.org X-server)

and look for the following section:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Generic Monitor"
  HorizSync  30-98
  VertRefresh 50-160
  Option "DPMS"
EndSecion

Your config file may include a lot more then mentioned above, and obviously the values will be different, just look for the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings and change those to your monitor's values. You can find your monitor's values by either looking in the manual, or searching on the web.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
Rectifier
post Sep 8 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #3

all I know about my monitor is that it's a phillips, it came with an old packaged computer that I salvaged for parts, do you know of a program that I could use to help find my monitor model #, "HorizSync", VertRefresh?

+Quote Post
Rectifier
post Sep 9 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #4

nevermind about the monitor detection program, I fixed the problem, I just found my manual for my monitor, all fixed and I am happy biggrin.gif thank you for your help

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 06:35 PM