Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modem Configuration Problem
dizzy_poet
post Sep 1 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,692

This will be the second time I ask this question , first time at another site , but no answers , of course it was imbedded in a question about my modem , but I digress . I seem to have made a error while configuring my modem in MDK 10.0 Comm.

curently mine reads :
[greg@localhost greg] #ll /dev/modem
??-??-??-? 1 root root 27 Aug 04 05:30 /dev/modem ->/dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

Shouldn't it read :
[greg@localhost greg] #ll /dev/modem
??-??-??-? 1 root root 27 Aug 04 05:30 /dev/modem ->/dev/ttyS2

And if so how do I comment this line correctly .
I have close to 30 hours of looking into and configuring this modem ( new to linux , 6 mos.) and I am RTFM , I just haven't gotten to the pages that tell me how to address my troubles . My modem is an ActionTec v.90 PCI 56012-01CW PM560LKI , hardware controlled .

--------------------
Registered Linux User # 365305
The Linux Counter
Come on and get registered.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Sep 1 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #2

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Member No.: 2,544

i was trying to put a nice, clickable link in here but it comes out as plain text :-(.

Try the following link:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/PCImodems.html

It has your modem listed right on top of the list. Just click on the "Instalation" link;

good luck

g

PS. Link would not show up as clickable when I used "htt://" button to enter it but comes out Ok when just copying and pasting it into the post.

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
dizzy_poet
post Sep 2 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #3

lesio -Thank you for web address it's one of 5 I had studied before attempting to configure the modem , it's good info MDK 10.0 , the others didn't work with this Distro , even ActionTec's was wrong for me .

I knew in my heart that if I could uncomment that bad line /dev/modem ->/dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem , I could have another go at it , and low and behold ; rm - /dev/modem ->/dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem. DONE . re-enter config info and all finished ..... almost . I was able to connect this afternoon , but forgot to edit the /ect/rc.d/rc/local file . They are making it sound so easy and I believe them but how do I get it to open ??? "jed" ??? not installed or on disks MDK 10.0 Pointers for this would be great . anyways now my script times out after connection but before resolution with host .

--------------------
The Linux Counter

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Sep 8 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #4

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Member No.: 2,544

to edit this file, you have to login as root and use any text (Kwrite works for me) editor; it is not ncessary to make changes form the command line interface, you can use GUI as long as you are logged in as root;

once you get the files edited, keep posting with rest of info

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
dizzy_poet
post Sep 10 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #5

I am going on record saying that although my Actiontec has been stated to work within linux , BUY another card or better yet a serial ( external ) modem . It could be my card ( it's circa '97 , I believe ) but I have no issues with it at all in XP . Good Connects , speed , and no drops . Under Linux I have issues , a lot of issues , but mostly I could not get it to config everytime ( it wasn't type O's , terminal and up arrow to line and Enter ) .
Ok enough of all that here is how I go my card to run , if you just have to try yours and see .

# cat /proc/pci

Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics Venus Modem (V90, 56KFlex) (rev 0).
IRQ 12.
Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xef203000 [0xef2030ff].
I/O at 0xac00 [0xacff].
I/O at 0xb000 [0xb0ff].
I/O at 0xb400 [0xb407].

Make note of the FIRST I/O address 0xac00 write this down you'll need it in a few .
You also need to know what port your card is on if you use Windows it's easy , boot to Windows and find out what COM it is on , If it's on COM 3 it is /dev/ttyS2 in Linux , just subtract 1 from your COM # and that is the /dev/ttyS# . I hope thats clear .

open your terminal
type
su , Enter , password , Enter ( to become root )
then type
ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem , Enter ( this make a link (ln) to the /dev .)
next type
chmod 666 /dev/ttyS2 ( this sets permissions for the /dev )
next type
setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A , Enter
next type
serserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0xac00 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig

Ok that's how I got mine to work , the last 2 lines are supposed to be swtiched , but on , my system the modem would not respond with them it that order . There is a way to save these changes so you don't have to enter them every time but I never did because the modem / config thing being such a pain . I almost gave up Linux over this , but I am glad to have stuck it out and learned so much more than about modems while getting through this . I now Know what Linux can become on my computer and I will never let go of it . I understand why Linux users are not always so nice to Windows users . Their wrong , Linux is not for everyone , some people need their computer to be as easy as TV , but just think about about how many people still haven't mastered programing the time on their VCRs biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Linux Counter

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 07:32 PM