Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Business Class, -shakes head-
NodMercinary
post Aug 18 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,502

ok, I have my dhcp/router with RH9 on it... ok, I had it set up as a router before, and know how to get all that working, but this modem I just got for business class roadrunner is also a router and is different. The guy set it up for my computer and since I have a static IP, this one had the same address as the router. here is the way it was set up for my windows box:
IP 67.78.26.38
GW 67.78.26.37
MSK 255.255.255.252

I put all this in for the router and nothing.. no internet.. what should I do from here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NodMercinary
post Aug 19 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #2

Grub-er

BTW, I have a ZyXEL Prestige 964 Cable Router as a modem... if anyone could please help me.. I dont know how to set this up :'(

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 19 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK ...

You should use this as the info for your external ethernet card (it is probably right now set for DHCP):

IP Address: 67.78.26.38
(make sure to set your subnet mask to 255.255.255.252)
You should set the default gateway to 67.78.26.37

If you don't have a local caching DNS server on your network, you will probably need to change the info in the file /etc/resolv.conf to point to your ISPs new DNS servers ... you should be able to use the same DNS server that is being used on your windows machine.
-------------------------------

You should use the same IP that you already are for the internal ethernet card ... probably a 192.168.x.x address. You would leave the default gateway blank on this card.

Both ethernet cards can be changed from the program redhat-config-network.
------------------------------
If there is anything you don't want to publish in your firewall script, send it to me via PM or E-mail and I'll see if anything in there needs to be changed. Sometimes the firewall script defines the internal and external addresses as a variable manually ... others scripts lookup the values dynamically.
-----------------------------
Once you have changed the IP's and the firewall script, do:

/etc/init.d/network restart

and restart the firewall script ... or just reboot the PC.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
NodMercinary
post Aug 19 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Grub-er

ok, um it only lets me edit eth1? how do I switch to eth0 config???

Also, I decided to just set it up as a dhcp and use the router.. as a router... I removed eth1.. how do I uninstall? it already removed the config for it on the hardware detection on startup, but it still brings up the eth1 interface...

(btw, it currently has the IP of 192.168.1.64 and I cant even ping it on the network)

+Quote Post
NodMercinary
post Aug 25 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #5

Grub-er

Bump....

when I try to ping my widnows desktop, the linux box says "connect: Nerwork is unreachable"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 05:28 AM