Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Link Not Present, ethernet connectivity
Quixotic
post Jan 23 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 359

on boot i get that error, link not present, check cable? when determining IP for eth0. Now, obviously, my cable is connected, and i know it works fine, because i use that cable (cat5 UTP) on my WinXP machine. the card is a 3c905-TX-M. I cant figure out what is going on. I've tried everything, searched everywhere. I have RH 8.0 Kernel 2.4.18-14. i got that message with the kernel driver on RH installation, and then installed the 3com driver and still get the error. I gutted my pci cards and moved the ethernet card to all slots in hopes there was a conflict. but of course, same error. Linux is recognizing the card fine, and all the configs are coming out with no error. I'm obviously a newbie, so even tho there are no errors in say ifconfig -a, i still dont know what it supposed to look like. one thing i dont understand is that under interrupts my card isnt listed. is it supposed to be? there is timer, keyboard, cascade, usb-uhci, rtc, usb-uhci, EMU10K1, ide0, ide1.
I need to set up DHCP so it automatically obtains IP address because my school's LAN is set up so it the internet will only work by obtaining automatically. Am i doing soemthing wrong? something wrong with my linux box? or is it my school's LAN configuration??
-dan
QuixoticUCT@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jan 24 2003, 08:36 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm guessing that you mean 3c509.

As root, type "modprobe -v 3c509" to see what that spits back. Is your system plug-n-pray? IS it an isa card? if so, you may need to setup the card with isapnptools, it's been a few years since i had to do something like that (oh gawd the flashbacks of trying to figure out that config file). most systems will automatically set this up for you though.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
Josiwe
post Feb 2 2003, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 400

I am having the exact same problem with my 3c59x card.

Typing 'modprobe -v 3c59x' does not print anything to stdout at all.

I've been trying to get connected for 3 days now, any help at all would be appreciated.

Instant Messenger: JordanSWF.

Thanks!

- Jordan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 03:34 PM