Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modem Problems On Mandrake
beuy
post Aug 16 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,887

I have a notebook computer and am running mandrake, It isnt picking up my modem and I cant add it because it only allows me to add modems on COM Ports, surley mandrake has to deal with internal modems?

The name of it is (in the windows device manager): Agere Systems AC'97 Modem v2134D

Any help as to how to solve this so i can use the internet through linux would be greatly apreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 17 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #2

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Member No.: 2,544

the modem you have is a winmodem (softmodem, controler-less modem) and it is designed to off-load signal processing to the CPU via a specialized, Windows-only driver.

for a long time there was no Linux support for winmodems but recently some experimental drivers started to appear, although getting a winmodem to work under Linux is still a major pain in the neck;

head here for more info; no need for me to re-type it in this post :-)

good luck

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
mukiduk
post Aug 18 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,574

I hope someone can help me. I cannot find where to post a new message. I have a problem with trying to get an intel 536ep modem to work with Mandrake 9.1. I have installed all the drivers but it shows up as an unknown device and there is something caller "MWAVE" in the /dev/modems folder and I think the computer is trying to connect through this. If you could show me exactly what to do using the GUI I would be very grateful.

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 18 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #4

mukiduk
unfortunately, my previous answer applies to your situation as well; that intel modem is a Winmodem; follow the link in my previous post;

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
gaviidae
post Aug 20 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,041

beuy,mukiduk
You may have to add modems to get your linuces online. An external *hardware* modem should work regargless of brand but be careful, there are external software modems (softmodems lesio was talking about). If it says it needs Windows whatever or Mac whatever then it's a softmodem.
I have a notebook and use a pcmcia (pc card) faxmodem. It plugged right in and Mandrake accepted it right away. $35 US
Linux shouldn't demand COMports, beuy. I thought that was a windows/DOS thing. Linux calls them tty0, tty1 etc or sd1, sd2 etc. depending on what type of drive you have.
Hope this helps,
gaviidae

--------------------------------------------------------------
Diebolt-- machines that vote so you don't have to!

+Quote Post
ape-shirt
post Aug 26 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,566

well this looks grim. I too got a winmodem for a machine that I recently loaded linux on. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out even the instructions for the scanmodem program that linmodem.org directed me to.

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 26 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #7

that is why I ditched the winmodem that my Compaq came with and got a US Robotics PCI hardware modem; after some relatively easy set-up (with help from this Forum) I got it up running beautifully; that is until I got DSL :-)

sorry guys, not much we can do about this here; do not blame Linux, blame the big OEMs who cut cost by assuming that everybody is running Windows and throwing in a cheap piece of garbage instead of a real modems;

good luck

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
ape-shirt
post Aug 27 2004, 05:38 AM
Post #8

so here's a thought: I have this DSL modem lying around. I don't know much about DSL, but it looks just like an ordinary controller based modem. so is it possible that it's backwards compatable so that it's usable as a 56k modem?

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 27 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #9

nope;

DSL uses telephone line but it works in the different range of frequencies and all protocols are totally different from dial-up; it will not work as a dial-up modem;

if this is trully a DSl modem, you can sign up for DS: service; it costs more than dial-up but it is well worth the difference;

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
ape-shirt
post Aug 28 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #10

no can do. old house, and long story short, they'd have to rewire the whole damn thing to get any sort of broadband.

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 29 2004, 01:35 AM
Post #11

so the only solution is buying a hardware modem; sorry;

g

disclaimer: i am not an employee of any hardware modem manufacturer and I do not own any of their stock;

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post
ape-shirt
post Aug 29 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #12

oh, don't worry, I know full well the joys of hardware modem ownership. the computer I'm typing this on right now has a US robotics hardware modem. I'd switch it out for the modem in the linux box if not for two things: 1) mine is ISA, and this linux box has no ISA slots, and 2) this linux box isn't for me, and you'd have to pry this modem from my cold, dead hands.

from my cold, dead hands.

+Quote Post
dizzy_poet
post Sep 12 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,692

lesio1974 ,
What model USR PCI modem is that and how well did you like it . You have been helping with the Actiontec modem in another post . Right now I am force to remain with dialup and am really stuck . I have come to the conclusion I need a different modem .... Internal V. External I would like a PCI less desk clutter , but what I hear about externals sounds like the way to go . The most frustrating thing is that now with cable and DSL no one wants to talk about or to use poor souls stuck in 1995 tongue.gif

Sorry , not trying to hijack this thread .

--------------------
Registered Linux User # 365305
The Linux Counter
Come on and get registered.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 04:41 AM