Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dynamic Dns, where to begin
imaginaxion
post Aug 13 2004, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,521

I have a small network at home running Mandrake 10 as the server with 2 network card,
the first card (eth0) is used for the internal which connects to a hub and the rest of the network machines (which use windows XP)
The other card (eth1) will be connected to an ADSL modem which I will be getting within the next week or so.

I will need to give internet sharing from the linux server to the rest of the network
I have already set up DHCP on the network and is working fine.

As far as I know you need to set up Dynamic DNS on the linux box because of the DHCP (as apposed to just DNS) although Iím not 100% sure if I even know what Iím talking about huh.gif

Anyway I would like to set this up also so that I can use the sever as a web server nut not necessarily as a live web server (just internal for now).

I have done a lot of reading but still unsure of what ALL I need to do.
For e.g. do I need PPP or PPPd <- not actually sure the diff.?, IPTables? DDNS? IP forwarding? all of the above?

In the last two weeks since getting linux I have had such an information overload (which I have been loving) Iím starting to get confused in it all.

Thanks in adv.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 13 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

If you are getting ADSL, you will probably need to use PPPOE to connect to your provider (unless you are getting static IP addresses). Mandrake has a wizard that can do that for you. DSL and Cable companies sometimes want to give you a USB modem (it uses USB to connect to your computer). Make sure they give you an Ethernet Modem instead.

The mandrake wizard is in the Network and Internet section of Mandrake Control Center.

After you get the ADSL working and obtaining an address, then you can use the Internet Connect Sharing wizard (also in the Network and Internet section).

On a machine that is a firewall / mail / web server at the front of the setup ... like you are doing ... I actually don't recommend one of the standard distros (Like Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, etc.). But Mandrake has the tools to do it....I recommend using one of the Enterprise clones like WhiteBoxEL, CentOS, TaoLinux ... they are on a longer release cycle (ie, you can use them longer and still get updates ... up to 5 years) .. and the software is more about stablity and less about cutting edge.

Either way, once every thing is working the way you like, then you can do the dynamic DNS thing. To do that you need a domain name ... you also need a Dynamic DNS provider.

Zoneedit.com is a dynamic DNS provider, and they are free. If you signup, Zoneedit.com will provide you 2 DNS server to use when registering your domain name (or to change your DNS servers to if you already have a registered domain name). You can then use these scripts to keep your domain name updated on ZoneEdit.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2017 - 05:02 PM