Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse 9.1 Pro And Xp Home Dual-boot, How do I do it?
moo113
post Aug 11 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,535

Later this month I'll be getting a new system from Dell (3GHz P4, 160GB) with pre-loaded XP Home.

I want to know what I need to do step-by-step to install SuSE 9.1 Pro and have XP Home running as a dual-boot. Being the complete dual boot and Linux newbie that I am, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 12 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #2

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,544

hi

the following will be applicable to most distros.

When you get your new PC, it will most likely have just one big NTFS Windows (C:) parttion on the hard-drive.

First thing to do would be getting Parttion Magic (or any partitioning tool for Windows) and shrinking the Windows partition to make room for Linux. Some Linux installers will have option to resize existing partitions but doing this through a Linux installer is a bit risky and you will be better of using Partition Magic.

It is a good idea to create a separate FAT32 partition for your data. Linux can read NTFS partitions but writing to them is still unreliable and risky. With FAT32, you can store your photographs, MP3, documents and video files in one place and have access to them from both OSes.

It is up to you how much you shrink Windows and how much space you allocate for data. But unless you are planning to do a heavy video editing, 160Gb is a loooooot of room.

To sum it up:

1. Shrink Windows (C:) parttion so you have room for the data and Linux partition.
2. Create FAT32 partition after the NTFS Windows partition.
3. Leave the rest of hard-drive unallocated, totally blank; Linux installer will organize that space during the installation; word of caution: even though Partition Magic has an option to "Install another Operating System" and it can create Linux parttions for you, DO NOT USE THIS OPTION; it goofed up my hard-drive really badly and it may cause a disaster in your case as well.

The rest of instructions is difficult to write because pretty much each system and installation is unique and it would be difficult to predict exactly what will happen and when.
We just have to go little by little. But it is not hard to get a dual-boot machine to work.

Keep posting here, we are here to help.

Good luck in your Linux adventures.

g

P.S. Just came across this

--------------------
-- The Pole
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:07 AM