Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Software Advice Needed
lesio1974
post Aug 7 2004, 03:02 AM
Post #1

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,544

is there any antivirus program for Linux that would let me scan and remove viruses from a Windows (NTFS) partition? i have a dual-boot PC with Core 2/XP and would like to check the XP from Fedora, without starting Windows;

g

--------------------
-- The Pole
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I would not recommend removing NTFS partition viruses via linux on the same machine. The write support for NTFS is not good enough (in my opinion) to do that.

You can scan shared SAMBA partitions on other machines with no problem ... except it may delete files that are important (like exchange server queue files) which can screw up the machine though. You could use something like vmware to run both OSes at the same time and use SAMBA to make a connection on the same machine.

I personally would only use Linux to scan even a FAT32 windows machine for viruses only if I couldn't get it to boot in windows. There are just to many meta files (like the registry) and other things in windows that a virus scanner for linux isn't aware of.

I do normally scan SAMBA shares on my Linux machines for viruses with a virus scanner that runs on Linux, but that is as far as I go.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
lesio1974
post Aug 7 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #3

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,544

this is a stand-alone lonely PC hooked up only to DSL modem so Samba is out of question;

but thanks for the info anyway;

g

--------------------
-- The Pole

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:06 AM