Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

> KDE/Gnome Vs. Minimal Wm With Both Supported, just curious
KDE/Gnome vs. minimal wm with both supported
KDE/Gnome vs. minimal wm with both supported
KDE/Gnome [ 13 ] ** [76.47%]
Minimal WM supporting both and using KDE/Gnome as a desktop [ 4 ] ** [23.53%]
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
post Jul 29 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,431

which do you think is better? KDE/Gnome (either/both) or a minimal WM that has support for both and runs faster (if you have very low ram, like me) I use icewm and gnome for a desktop, but it runs like 50x faster. Id have to wait 5-10 mins to start up konqueror/nautilus, but now nautilus takes me a minute or two, and thats when it starts up gnome as a desktop, other then that, its usually as fast as windows explorer... better once it starts! konqueror's a bit slow still.

well, which is better? having a customized small, light wm manager, and using just KDE/gnome as a desktop (still get almost everything you d witht the desktop), or using one and only one?

I pick the light wm with support for both... I mean, why not have both AND speed? I just anted to know what everyone else thought... Id probably be using KDE if I didnt have 64 mb of RAM, but since I found icewm, im sold to that for life. with a bit of customization(if your good with the gimp) it can look exactly like your gnome/KDE theme
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Start new topic
post Jan 11 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I have to agree with hughsjr, if you have a bit of ram (probably anything over 128mb), then I suggest using KDE (i'm not a gnome fan). If you're running a little short on ram, or if you just like the general speed, then my suggestion for a minimal WM is WindowMaker, it's tried, tested and true. I could never get into any other minimal WM, I started out on Linux with WindowMaker and always loved it.

Corey Quilliam
(former) Administrator

Want to help out Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2018 - 09:58 AM