Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Hard Drive, DATA MOVE
andy1974
post Jul 29 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,454

HELP!! I am getteing ready to upgrade to a larger hard drive for my Red Hat Fedora Core 2 Server. And i want to move all the Data including the MBR to the new drive without loosing anything...Is this a easy task?? And How? unsure.gif huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 29 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

This should work:

http://www.greenfly.org/tips/filesystem_migration.html

It requires that you put the new hard drive in with the old drive already in ... use fdisk to create the new partitions you need ...

Then use mke2fs (for ext2/3) to make the file system on Linux Partitions ... use mkswap to make the swap partition...

then make /mnt/tmp ... then mount the new root directory in /mnt/tmp ... then follow the instructions in the link above ... then unmount the new root ... then mount any other partitions into /mnt/tmp and follow the instructions again (like maybe for a seperate boot partition).

Then follow the instructions to create a new boot loader.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 11:44 PM