Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autologin As Root, How can I break Linux next?
Chibix
post Jul 29 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,364

Since I'm all about Anti-Security on the home network (You know, we have no big international secrets here), I want to set up the local Linux machine to AutoLogin, yet in the panel, the only Autologin option seems to be "Nobody", the account that... well... nobody uses.

I've got to figure out some way to force Root to appear on that menu, or to get root's account to Auto-login by itself in some other way, in Mandrake 10.0. Suggestions?

--------------------
QAFH:Quality Assurance manager From Hell

HW: AMD 2000+ (1667 Mhz)
VIA vt8233 chipset motherboard
Radeon 9200se 5964agp video
256mb ram
vt6102 Rhine ii 10/100 network card
Creative 5x DVD(5240e)

SW:
Linux Kernel 2.6.3-7mdk
Mandrake 10.0
KDE 3.2 (Feb 4th build)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 29 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

It might be possible to make Root be able to auto login ... but I can't figure out how. I searched the web and tried to make it work ... I can't figure out how. (Not that I would do it in a million years ... and I recommend that you don't do it either ... but it's your PC, not mine smile.gif )

The reason nobody is the only user is you haven't created another account... if you were to create another user account, that would also show up as an option.

You can load Mandrake Control Center as a non-root user ... it just asks for a password first. So you can do normal root funtions as a non-root user.

You can also open a terminal window and do the command:

su - root

enter a password and do any terminal stuff as root in that window...

Then you can make that user (the new one you create) AutoLogin ... and for the vast majority of things, you won't have to login ... but for Mandrake Control Center and a root terminal, you will.

-----------
As I said ... If Mandrake 10 will allow root to show in the autologin menu ... I couldn't figure out how to do it.

One other reason you REALLY don't want ROOT to be able to autologin ... If someone figures out how to make your system display a remote xdcmp screen ... it might be logged in as root, which I bet you don't really want wink.gif

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
ctrunk514
post Jul 30 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 902

I got this working once, it was a pain in the !@$. Feel free to follow the thought process by reading the post:

http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...3&t=1249&hl=red

let me know where you get stuck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 09:49 PM