Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Tab Completion In Dos
Corey
post Jul 28 2004, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This isn't linux related, and i'm mostly posting this here for my own reference later on when i'm on different computers.

Most of us, at one point or another are forced to use DOS for various tasks. My biggest beef with DOS was the lack of tab-completion for files or directories, something that I have been accustomed to thanks to the bash shell. Well, you can have it in Windows too. I am not sure what versions of Windows, but I have used it in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Open up your registry editor by goign Start->Run type 'regedit' in the box and launch the editor. Browse through the trees to the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Command Processor

On the right side, there should be an entry for "CompletionChar". Double-click on this, and change the value from 0 to 9. Press ok, and then close off regedit. Close any command prompts you may have open, and then reopen one and test it out. It's not quite as good as bash, and other shells, but it's better than nothing.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 01:29 AM