Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Java Jre2 Install...
rich
post Jul 27 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,425

Hi Peoples,
I am having a little trouble getting JRE2 to run with Firefox 0.9 on RH EL3. I have uncompressed and run the rpm provided by java.sun.com, and successfully installed JRE2 but when I then run firefox to test I get the message telling me to download and install the plugin for java.

I have read the cryptic doco provided on java.sun.com about hooking the plugin into firefox with a linked directory, but these instructions are for RH 7 & 8 rather than EL 3, and I haven't much through search engines on the topic.

Anybody had a similar issue or have an idea about where I can go from here?

Cheers
Rich blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rich
post Jul 27 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,425

OK, It seems nobody has any ideas...

But I have done a bit of searching and found that I need to run the javaws shell script while invoking some .jnlp files but I have, so far, been unable to locate anything that resembles jnlp in my filesystem.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated and may warrant a bribery gift of some sort.

Cheers
Rich blink.gif

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 27 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK ...

does the java plugin show up when you type this in the address bar:

about:plugins

If the plugin is not there, find the firefox plugins directories ... on my system, it is at:

/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/plugins/

(other installs may vary ... maybe /usr/lib/firefox/plugins)

Also find your JRE directory ... on my system it is:

/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2_rc1/jre/

There is a plugin directory which is at

/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2_rc1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/
(if you can't find the directory ... use the command:
find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so

now go to your firefox plugin directory (in a terminal window as root) ... in my case, like this:

cd /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/plugins/

create a link to the mozilla java plugin (from within the firefox plugin directory)... in my case like this:

ln -s /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2_rc1/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

see if the java plugin shows up now when typing:

about:plugins

then pressing return...
------------------
For opening files that end in .jnlp files (that is, java web start files) ... first find your javaws executable ... mine is at:

/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2_rc1/jre/bin/javaws

Find a site that has that type of file ... like at www.puzzlepirates.com and click on a file that ends with .jnlp and when asked, say open with and put /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2_rc1/jre/bin/javaws in as the program to open it with....and check always open with this program.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:30 PM