Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Network Setup Confirmation, Confirming Network setup
ZhiYi
post Jan 20 2003, 07:35 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 332

Hi !
I will like to network 2 pcs with linux together. I have not tried networking before,not even in Windows. So I will like to confirm the general steps to setting up a network with Linux.

Here goes: 1) Install network cards on each pc
2) Connect using network cable
3) Make sure linux recognizes the network card
4) Use the Network Connection Wizard in redhat linux 8 GUI
to setup the network

Are the general steps listed above correct or did I miss any? Also,do i need any extra info to setup the network?

Please reply.....Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jan 20 2003, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

There's a bit more to it then just plugging in the two PC's.

First off, if you're using Ethernet with an rj45 cable, then it needs to be a crossover cable. Crossover cables differ from the "out-of-the-box" cables because some of the wires are reversed. Information on creating one can be found here. There are some places that sell cross-over cables if you don't want to make it yourself, check out your local computer place. Other options include purchasing a Hub, I would suggest this because hubs are very easy to maintain and to setup. A 3rd options is using Cat 5 cables (the ones that are a spitting image of TV Cable), these can be networked peer-to-peer (that is, one computer directly to another) with the aid of terminators.

If you choose the "hub" method, you can just plug your computers into the hub slots, and your internet connection, if broadband, can be plugged into the uplink slot. Then you can proceed in using the network configuration to set up your local lan. You will want to use local ip addresses for this, I'd say redhat will do this for you.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:25 PM