Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vt 6103 Integrated Ethernet Problems
nate11000
post Jul 24 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,417

I'm very new to linux and am having trouble getting my ethernet to work. I'm currently running KnoppMyth on my machine with a kernel of 2.4.25-chw. I have looked all over the internet looking for a driver for my integrated VT 6103 chip, and I can't find one... but I did finally find something that said that the VT 8235 rhinefelt.o would work. I downloaded it from viaarena, put it on cd and put that on the linux computer and finally figured out how to compile it. I then copied the rhinefelt.o file to the /lib/modules/2.4.25-chw/kernel/modules/net/ directory, following the instructions of the included textfile. I then went into the modules.conf which said that it was autogenerated and to look at the files in /etc/modutils so I went to that directory, modified a file called aliases to put in the line 'alias eth0 rhinefelt.o'

Still no ethernet... I have no idea what to do next. I'm at a complete loss and I can't find any other help on the internet. Thanks for looking at this post, and any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 26 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

What is the output of the command:

modprobe rhinefelt.o

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
nate11000
post Jul 27 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #3

hey, thanks for responding! it's actually rhinefet.o not felt, i misspelled it the first time. anyway, i typed modprobe rhinefet.o and it said it could not locate the module. i also tried just rhinefet without the .o and it did not give a response, just a new prompt. does this mean it is not installed correctly? what i did to install the module is pretty much laid out in my first post. is there something else i need to do?

i double checked my spellings of rhinefet.o in everything on my comp that i moved or changed, and i never misspelled it on there.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 27 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

do the command:

lsmod

and see if:

rhinefet

is loaded ...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
nate11000
post Jul 30 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #5

It's not. I then tried to do insmod rhinefet.o which gave me another command line with no message. then if i try again it says that a module called rhinefet is already loaded, but it still doesn't show up on the lsmod list. i think i'm giving up and buying another ethernet card. or just taking my computer to a field and pulling an Office Space on it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 09:37 PM