Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cant Finish Installing Xwindow, Im using zipslack 10
spiroth10
post Jul 24 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,431

please, help me. Ive finished installing everything needed, and the faq says I need to run xf86config.
problem is its not an application. I think its a text file -- but I dunno. I never installed Xwindow myself before, so can someone give me a dumbed down tutorial on what im supposed to do next? thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
heylan
post Jul 26 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,034

Have you tried "XFree86 -config"?

After issuing that command, there should be some instructions on how to test the config file generated. Something like this "To test the server, run 'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new'"

IF everything works fine, you should then see a grey screen with a black X in the centre. You should be able to move that X with your mouse. From there, to escape from the grey screen, hold the Ctrl and Alt button and press the BackSpace button. That will bring you back to the console.

Make a copy of the XF86Config.new file into the /etc directory as XF86Config (if I remember correctly). Then type "startx" at the console. KDE starts after I issue that command. But then, I don't know if it works for zipslack as I'm using the full version of Slackware.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:22 PM