Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apache - Blocked On Non-localhost
discofunk
post Jul 22 2004, 05:26 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,399

Hi, First off, I'm a newbie.

I just installed FC2 and I am trying to get apache going. It serves pages on the local box, but when I try to access the server from another computer I get "The Page Cannot Be Displayed". I have 2 ethernet cards on the box (wondering if that might be the problem). I can ping the FC2 box from other computers (using same IP as the webserver) but just can't access the web pages. I've turned the Firewall on (with HTTP checked) and off to try both options.

Before this, I was using Windows IIS and everything worked fine so I don't believe it is a external routing issue.

I had Samba configured and working, but since then I've totally disabled the "intranet" ethernet card for troubleshooting purposes and now only have the one card connected directly to my DSL modem.

I'm not using the virtual hosts yet and have not changed the default directories so the pages should be being served from /var/www/html

I've tried setting the permissions in that directory to different settings, but that doesn't seem to do anything....

Any Ideas would be appreciated (I'm sure its a simple problem I'm overlooking).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fandfurious88
post Jul 23 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,746

You mention your DSL modem... are you trying to access things over the internet and through your DSL modem? If so, it's possible you ISP disabled web ports (eg. 80).

+Quote Post
discofunk
post Jul 23 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #3

I don't think that is the case. I had a Win32 IIS server running on port 80 the day before and I have tried a couple of alternate port numbers with no success.

+Quote Post
adam.stokes
post Jul 23 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #4

./configure

Member No.: 3,403

Curious what does iptables -L show in your console could you paste it here or better yet, paste the contents of /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Believe this to be a firewall issue

--------------------
adam.stokes
Fedora Core rawhide, RHEL WS, ES, AS :)
Red Hat Certified Engineer

+Quote Post
discofunk
post Jul 24 2004, 03:16 AM
Post #5

For some reason it started working... who knows what I did. I opened the file permissions to 'full everything' turned off the firewall 'iptable was almost empty' and kicked the computer, restarted httpd and poof... started working.. then I of course "sealed" everything back up....

I don't know HOW many times I tried different combonations of things... must be newbie gremlins!

Thank you for your help anyway.... smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:19 PM