Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mounting Issues, It will be great if u could clarify this
lightarmy
post Jan 16 2003, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 324

Hi there all !

I have installed my redhat linux on my e partition of my hard drive after formatting it. I want to access my windows partition residing on c drive .

this is the command I type :

at root:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

It works fine and I can access all the files. However when i logged out or reboot , the mounting seem to be lost ( i.e I cannot access the windows files ).... am I doing something wrong ? Shouldn't the drive be still accessible after u either reboot or logged out and in again since we only need to mount it once ?

well I am at a lost... any clarifications are very much appreciated.

secondly I have noticed the " i 386" and " i 686" stuffs appended to the end of a file name just before the ".rpm " suffix.
What does those actually mean?

thanks !!
tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jan 16 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

First off, there is a file in linux that stores all the informaiton about filesystems that are to be mounted on bootup. This file is called "/etc/fstab", if you would like to add windows into this, then you can either open up the file in a text editor, or do the following as root:

echo "/dev/hda1  /mnt/windows  vfat  defaults  0  0" >>/etc/fstab

* Be sure to use the double greater-than signs or else you'll wipe out your file

For information on this, type "man mount" and see the different options of mounting.

The extensions that you are refering to is the architecture that the binary package was compiled for. Others include i386, i486, i586, i686, etc. This basically means that a package that was compiled for i386 will work on pretty much any intel processor from the 386 up (this includes AMD and Cyrix as well). If you find a package with the i686 architecture, then it will not run properly on anything below it due to different compiler flags for that processor. Most binary distributions compile their packages with the i386 so it could (theorectially) work on anything from a 386 and up. Some other distributions like Mandrake distribute their packages with optimizations for the i586 and up, so these will not work properly on 386/486.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 08:47 PM