Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse Linux 9.1
hughesjr
post Jul 9 2004, 07:18 AM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I just upgraded my SUSE Linux 9.0 professional on my test box to SUSE Linux 9.1 Professional (from the free version I got from Novell) ... see this thread.

I have to say that the 9.1 version looks pretty good.

I don't like the fact that everything HAS to be changed inside the GUI tools ... but for some users, that is a good thing.

This distro is pretty good ... but I am sticking with Gentoo on my Main home workstation.

(I wish they would have used Gnome 2.6 though)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jul 9 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 3

Yeah, like i've said many times before, I've always had a soft-spot for SUSE. It is a well organized distribution, and I believe out of all the commercial-based distributions, this one has the most potential to really get into the corporate market. Especially with the Network OS powerhouse Novell acquiring them. This was a great move by Novell, and will provide a giant leap for linux.

In 2 weeks, I start my Novell certification course in school, and I'm going to push this Technical Resource kit to the teacher and provide the class with some exposure to linux while still sticking to Novell.

But yeah, i like SUSE 9.1 Pro a lot, I installed it about a month ago and kept to it. I really liked Gentoo, but i wanted to give myself more exposure to a distro that's commercial-based and might be used in a future company setting.

I find it well organized, and YAST2 is awesome.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
wyldcdn
post Jul 9 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,312

Has anyone tried the ftp install? I tried it and everything went great as usual except the grub installer. According to suse's web sight there is an error in the script and they provide a work around. I guess it has to be run in rescue mode.
Do the boxed sets have this problem?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 9 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 1,151

The DVD I booted from worked perfectly ... I had no issues at all on my testbox (PIII-800, 768mb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 5200FX, Sound Blaster Live, Intel e100, DVD player)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 02:15 AM