Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cangentoo Networking After Chroot Problem, internet doesn't work after chroot gento
VBD
post Jun 28 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,244

I decided to give gentoo a go. I booted up a minimal live cd. I then downloaded a stage 1 tarball via links. I did what it said (created the file system, extracted the tarball). I copied the resolve.conf file, and chrooted in. The internet works perfectly from the live cd, but in the console I chrooted in, it doesn't. I can't get the chrooted environment to connect, as none of the commands are there (stage 1 :-( ). I can't use portage either to compile the commands because the internet isn't up. modprobe doesn't exist, ifconfig doesn't exist, etc. within that environment. I have the internet in the other consoles. What should I do to make it work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VBD
post Jun 28 2004, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,244

I went on IRC. Lots of people were confused, as no one else had had this problem. The first idea was that I hadn't copied resolv.conf, and I said I had, so that person had no idea what could be wrong. Suddenly, I saw what appeared to be the stupidest suggest ever, but after checking I realized the person was correct. I feel like an idiot. I spelt resolv.conf resolve.conf. I think I should get some sort of award for that mistake.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jun 29 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I was going to post the same thing (make sure you copied resolv.conf into the /mnt/gentoo/etc directory).

I misspell stuff all the time ... most humans still know what I mean, but computers are not so forgiving smile.gif

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 04:54 PM