Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Gimp 2.0 For Linux
ryansanders2002
post Jun 24 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,222

Ok, I'm new to linux so please take it step by step.

I have the Gimp 2.0 rpm but I can't install it because it is asking me for some dependancies. I've looked for them and I can't find any rpms for these. Could someone who knows what dependacies I need please tell me where I can find their RPM files or another file type and how to install them if they are not rpm?

Thanks,
Ryan

edit: Ok this was actually on my other linux distro.. I use Mandrake 10 now, when I run the RPM, it just says everything is already installed buy when I try to run gimp, it tells me that gimp is invalid. Why is this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post Jun 24 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Ryan,

Mandrake has a program named urpmi that can resolve dependancies and install packages (and updates) for you.

If you have a broadband connection to the internet (not dial up), I recommend that you set up urpmi per the instructions in this post:

http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?a...t=ST&f=7&t=3490

Then if you want to install gimp, you would do:

urpmi.update -a
urpmi gimp

The Gimp that is included with Mandrake 10 is version 1.2.5 ... and that is the one that will be installed via the normal update process.

You are free to upgrade to gimp 2.0, BUT, you will need to resolve all dependancies yourself. Unless you have a pressing need to upgrade (further than the standard upgrades provided by urpmi), I would stay with the version of programs that come with your distro (as updated by urpmi).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:11 PM