Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Default Permissions For New Files?
ahz
post Jun 16 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,174

How do I set the default permission to be u=rw for /home/users and u=rw,g=rw for /home/shared?

I heard about umask, but that provides one default for all folders. Also I am not sure this works non-console app such as OpenOffice?

This will help ex-Windows users at the office.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jun 16 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK ... for a users home directory, you can set the actual directory to permissions 700 (so only he can get in there)...so other users can't get in and it doesn't matter if the inside file or directory permissions are 755 or whatever.

For shared directories, I'm afraid that the only controls I know of are the user's individiual umask. A user will write all files as rw-rw-rw- (666) if the umask is 0000 ... file permissioins would be 644 if a users umask was 0022.

Eventually, there will be good ACL support in Linux...but not now.

You can control folder permission based on Group membership, but only one user and one group can own a file.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 04:56 AM