Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse 9.1, Ftp, And Yast - How To Configure?
ccheaton
post Jun 15 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,159

Ok - I'm somewhat of a Linux newbie, but in the past few weeks, I have managed to turn my old PC into a SuSE webserver by doing a network install of SuSE 9.1, getting Apache, MySQL, and phpBB setup, and the www server services running. Now, I'm trying to get the machine setup so that I can FTP to the /home/www directory (and all subdirectories), where the webfiles are, so that I can remotely update and/or add to my webpage. Currently, this is all just on my internal LAN, and I'm really only doing it for my own edumacation, since I wanted to get to know Linux.

Now, I'm having trouble getting the FTP server setup, and I haven't been able to find any help regarding YaST and the FTP services. So far, I have turned on the ftp service in the Network Services portion of YaST. Root is the user. I can connect to it from another pc on my LAN, just by entering ftp://192.168.0.100 (the linux machine) into the browser. The problem is that I don't see any files when I connect. Nor does it ask me for a username/password.

All that I want to do is have the FTP server require a login, and then give access to the /home/www directory, and only to me, with username ccheaton. Is there a way to do this in YaST? Could somebody please either guide me through this process, or point me to an online tutorial describing how to get this set up?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jun 15 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

You probably have anonymous FTP setup. I don't have SUSE 9.1 right now ... what is the FTP server that it uses (proftpd, vsftpd, wuftpd, etc.).

If you use the command (at a terminal window as root):

rpm -qa | grep -i ftp

it should list all the ftp programs installed ... just post the list and I will help you out.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 07:34 PM