Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ssh
wookmaster
post Jun 12 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,290

so ive been messin around with my main PC witrh has Mandrake 10 on it, I set it up as a SSH server and connected with my laptop -- 64 megs ram 8 gig Hdd Fedora core 1 EXTREMELY SLOW. so I connect with SSH and for the heck of it I type in mozilla in the terminal. It open on the laptop, much faster than the laptop usually runs. SWEET, I notice a few graphical errors but other than that it runs good, was wondering if anyone can put any input on this and how it runs or if there is a better way to do it. Thanks

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jun 12 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

That is how to run an X app on the server via ssh ... the browser is not actually running on the laptop ... it is running on the server machine.

You are seeing the info in your X display on the laptop ... because X11 forwarding is on with both the server and the client.

This is a way you can take a less powerful machine and use it with newer, memory intensive programs ... it does require a fast network connection.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
wookmaster
post Jun 12 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,290

sounds good, just what I was looking for. Its over a 100 MBPS home lan so it runs quick and theres only two computers currently being used.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 07:37 AM