Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> To Learn And Retain Knowledge, Whats the best distro to learn on?
Venom
post May 31 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,872

Total noob here! compiled 10 kernels so far just for the sake of doing it (seeing how long it would take for my pc). Now i'm ready to sit down and learn some junk! Any Ideas on the best distro to learn linux on? Knoppix? Gentoo? I'm not afraid of work, and I have time to spare when the kids are sleeping. I am willing to do a full install without a GUI, and willing to document my actions so I can write about what I did for other noobs to learn. I have intermediate VB skills, and embarrasingly huge amount of DOS, Windows knowledge (willing to forget it all if the need arises!). Lastly my wife bet me I cant do it! So for my sake and my future! I need to learn this stuff...

If this is amusing, Good! I want to feel that I will have fun doing this... so please don't bust my happy lil' bubble... for now at least.

Please let me, and other know what we need, and possibly where to get what we need before creating a whole new world! Yes! I have a phobia of penguins!

Thank you all in advance before I end this post.

Your's trully,
Venom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Venom
post Jun 1 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #2

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,872

I honestly dont like mandrake. From the first time I installed it (older version) I said I would never do a Mandrake install again. I currently am running Core 2 with kernel 2.6.6 patched to 2.6.7 rc1... with some errors mind you! I have a system I like, but dont understand. That is why I want to learn.

I have printed the Gentoo installer guide fromt the Gentoo website and now am not too sure what I need to download. I can get the Debian Sarge, but would like to clarify why? What is a Gentoo stage one install. I have a Gentoo cd already, but not exactly sure what it is. It boots to a command line, and thats it! If I get the Sarge? What is it doing for me that other Distro's wont do?

I am asking for the sake of learning. When this is done (however long it takes) I plan to write a full-descriptive document about what linux is to a total newbie including my failures, and sucesses. I think this process may have been done before, but I think the more the better. People like yourselves make the journey easier, at the same time solving problems and moving to the next question.

I found you few have fixed many of my problems, but I didn't learn anything at all. I just copied, and pasted to get it to do something. This goal is to understand my errors, and correct them, as I would have with a Windows PC. I also plan to take some classes related to the environment during my courses of study, and would appreciate some direction there too.

Lastly, Yes! I am looking forward to building a server, and maybe this explains why I want to learn. What is CentOs? in terms of distro type, and feel. I have used Redhat, Fedora1, and 2, Mandrake, and Caldera Open lite.

Thanks in advance Guys, and Gals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:45 AM