Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> To Learn And Retain Knowledge, Whats the best distro to learn on?
Venom
post May 31 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,872

Total noob here! compiled 10 kernels so far just for the sake of doing it (seeing how long it would take for my pc). Now i'm ready to sit down and learn some junk! Any Ideas on the best distro to learn linux on? Knoppix? Gentoo? I'm not afraid of work, and I have time to spare when the kids are sleeping. I am willing to do a full install without a GUI, and willing to document my actions so I can write about what I did for other noobs to learn. I have intermediate VB skills, and embarrasingly huge amount of DOS, Windows knowledge (willing to forget it all if the need arises!). Lastly my wife bet me I cant do it! So for my sake and my future! I need to learn this stuff...

If this is amusing, Good! I want to feel that I will have fun doing this... so please don't bust my happy lil' bubble... for now at least.

Please let me, and other know what we need, and possibly where to get what we need before creating a whole new world! Yes! I have a phobia of penguins!

Thank you all in advance before I end this post.

Your's trully,
Venom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post May 31 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I agree that Gentoo is the distro to install if you really want to learn Linux ... and have a functional and easily upgradeable install after you are finished.

Actaully, where I learned the most in the shortest period of time was going through the Linux From Scratch (LFS) install.

First you need a regular install ... I would use Debain Sarge (download the Beta 4 installer 110mb iso ... here are instructions).

Then do the lastest Linux From Scratch book from start to finish ... after you have completed that for fun and understand it all, then I would start over, erasing the LFS and do a Gentoo install (or use Debain Sarge) as my workstation (if you have a week or so to play and can do with out the PC while you are installing). If you can't do an LFS for fun ... just do either Gentoo or Debian Sarge ... in my opinion ... to learn about how linux works on a workstation.

After you are done with that, You will be very knowledgeable....

If you want to build a server, then I would use CentOS or WhiteBox Enterprise Linux.

DistroWatch just rated Mandrake 10 the cream of the crop for the new distros from Fedora, SUSE, Mandrake. So Mandrake 10 if you just want a good workstation that is fuctional....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 07:07 PM