Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cash Via Paypal, Tutor Wanted
Traxcat
post May 14 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,948

I'm looking for someone to help me set up a web, dns and mail server using linux. I have Mandrake 8, RedHat 8 w/Bible by Christophr Negus and Debian "Woody" 3.0r2 to work with.

I am willing to pay someone $100.00 to walk me thru the process of settiing this up with enough security to keep the Spammers from using the mail server as a relay. If $100.00 isn't enough then how much? If you are willing to help me for less, How much? If you can walk me thru all the required setting you will have acheived your task. Payments will be made in intervals via Paypal as we progress.

I have DSL and I lease a block of 8 IP's from Qwest. I own a variety of Domain names registered with Network Solutions (Verisign)

I have a variety of systems to run Linux on and hardware adjustments are not a problem, within reason. I'm fairly computer literate. You won't have to teach me what a file and folder is but I am unfamiliar with the Linux OS. Don't get me wrong here, I have played with Gnome and KDE, I can set it up to get the internet with Mozilla, I've installed RedHat at least a dozen times, Mandrake twice and debian twice with out any real problems. I understand a terminal screen and command lines. I currently have 4 systems networked with windows Xp and 98. My server used to be running in the basement but it died. I'm fairly adept with Win 98 and I get along fairly well with XP. I have difficulty with subnetting and the like.

Serious inqueries only.

No SPAM mad.gif

Traxcat
(If interested post here and we will get together via email.) I also have free minutes on my cell phone saturdays and sundays thru T-mobile so we can talk live one-on-one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post May 14 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Just a reminder that we do not moderate posts or screen subscribers to this forum. If you decide to give someone access to your box and they for some stupid reason, screw it up, we'll gladly offer you advice on how to fix it, but we are in no way liable.

Thanks
Joey

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 14 2004, 07:09 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Member No.: 1,151

I would personally recommend an Enterprise OS as your server. See my article on OSNEWS called Introduction to Enterprise Linux for the alternatives.

RedHat 8 no longer gets supported security updates from RedHat ... I would personally recommend WhiteBox Enterprise Linux or CentOS as the OS to use for the server.

I do some consulting work, but I think my price ($40.00/hr) would be prohibitive, since it would take several hours (probably 20-30) to setup e-mail, http and dns for multiple domains.

I don't mind helping for free, if you hit a snag, by posting in the forum though.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 14 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Joey said:

Just a reminder that we do not moderate posts or screen subscribers to this forum. If you decide to give someone access to your box and they for some stupid reason, screw it up, we'll gladly offer you advice on how to fix it, but we are in no way liable.

Understood.

Traxcat

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 14 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #5

hughesjr said:

I do some consulting work, but I think my price ($40.00/hr) would be prohibitive, since it would take several hours (probably 20-30) to setup e-mail, http and dns for multiple domains.

Yea, a bit steep for this unemplyed person but thanks. It would only be one domain that needs to be set up though, I would muddle thru the rest after it was up-and-running.

Any ideas where I could find the best step-by-step walkthrus for doing it on my own? Any links come to mind? I've done some google searching and have found some good ones but I need one that is geared more for an absolute linux newbie.

Traxcat

+Quote Post
Joey
post May 14 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #6

LinuxHelp Admin

Member No.: 1

Setting up a mail server isn't really all that complicated. Why dont you just install something like Fedora Core or Mandrake linux and install the sendmail RPM package? It's pretty much set up out of the box.

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 15 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #7

Joey said:

Setting up a mail server isn't really all that complicated. Why dont you just install something like Fedora Core or Mandrake linux and install the sendmail RPM package? It's pretty much set up out of the box.

I haven't look at the mail set-up part of it yet. I guess my priority is to get my web server up-and-running. The mail server part is secondary and I can play and learn that as I go.

Traxcat

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 16 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #8

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

OK, I guess the first part is to setup the external IP addresses on a firewall.

Do you have a hardware firewall/router (like one of these d-link models).

If so, what manufacturer and model number do you have?

Most of these routers have the capability to have more than 1 IP address added to them on the WAN port.
------------------------
If you don't have a cable/dsl router, we can setup a router via a linux PC and assign the external IP addresses to the external NIC. This is a little harder to work with, but doable.
------------------------
Once all the external IP addresses come to the outside of your router/firewall, you can setup the web server on a Linux machine. When you are ready, we can try to walk you through that.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 16 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #9

I have a cisco 678 router bringing in my DSL. That is linked to a 4-port 10-baseT Netgear (EN104tp). That is linked to a 8-port 10-100 LinkSys (BEFSR41) router and that is linked to a 8-port Gigabit Linksys (EG008W) workgroup switch. These are set-up and running running my LAN.

Just how these routers are configured I don't know because I didn't set them up and the guy that did set them up moved out of state.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 16 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #10

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

It is going to be extremely hard to tell you how to get info into your PC, you would have to add all 8 IP addresses to the external router's outside card (or verify they are already there) ... the second item (EN104tp) is not a problem ... it is only a hub, so it doesn't effect the IP addresses, the next item is a problem ... it is also a router (BEFSR41)(you said it was an 8 port router ... but the BEFSR41 is a 4-port router ... the BEFSR81 is it's 8-port equivilant...which one do you have? ), so it has an external IP (or IP's) and an internal network. The 4th item (EG008W) is also a switch/hub and not effecting the IPs of your PCs.

Do you have any PC's connected to the EN104tp, or are all the PCs connected to either the BEFSR41 and/or the EG008W.

-----------------
The first thing you need to check is that all the IPs are on the external port of the Cisco 678 .... you would have to setup port forwarding of (web to start with) port 80 (and 443 if you want https as well as http) from the outside interface (and a specific IP from the outside interface) to either a specific IP of a PC (if it is before the BEFSR41) OR to the external port (and specific IP for each domain) of the BEFSR41.

If your PCs are all behind the BEFSR41, you would then need to setup port forwarding form the extenral port of the BEFSR41 to the correct IP on your internal web server of the same ports (80 and maybe 443), to an IP that is specific for each domain.

How to do port forwarding on the Cisco 678 can be found here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pr...nop/rconfig.htm

How to do port forwarding on the BEFSR41 (or BEFSR81) can be found here:
http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/intro.html

Once you have the port forwarding taken care of, you can run a webserver.

(you might want to setup the basic webserver first and then point to it later with the port forwarding ... the order isn't super important, and you might want to do the port forwarding last ... but it is probably going to be the hardest part)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 16 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Sorry, 4-port router is correct. I used to have a 8-port hub up there that I replace with the gigabit switch.

All pc's are connected to LynkSys routers I had the server connected to it before so it was outside the firewall. That way I could plug in a pc to play games online without having a firwall problem. The way I understand it was anything connected to the Netgear was on the internet side firewall and anything connected to the LinkSys 4-port was on the LAN side of the firewall.

He had the patch cables labeled H and C.
H for hot (Internet) & C for cold (LAN)

I can console into the 678 router and get information off it if you need it. I'm not sure about the linksys, I'll take a look at that link you sent me.

Note: I just finished my second semester of ccna classes in College so I have a general idea of some stuff but I didn't do real well in the class (Only a C) so I don't understand it very well but I do understand some of it.

I'm sitting at an XP box connected to the LinkSys gigabit and here is what I get for a ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DVD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : webriders.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-D0-9E-63
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 204.147.80.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 16, 2004 11:53:28 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 17, 2004 11:53:28 AM

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 32-17-31-00-AB-22
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.78.225
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

65.103.27.65 was the IP address of my server. This is one of my IP addresses.

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 16 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #12

What would be the equivilent to "ipconfig /all" in Linux?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 22 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #13

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Hey ... I din't forget about you smile.gif

ifconfig tells you all about the IPs on your linux machine.

It seems as if the Cisco is set only to connect to the ISP ... and has everything on. Then your other router is the only firewall.

Shouldn't be to hard to do a webserver...

I just finished up a guide that installs a Mail Server from scratch and provides webmail, spam scanning, virus scanning, pop3 and imap ... and smtp auth.

If you have a farily good server (pIII, 256mb RAM, 10gb drive ... or better specs) I would recommend that you install either CentOS or WBEL on it (a minimal install) ... I am going to start a guide today that allows you to have a fully functional LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server. Take a look in the Tips & Tricks section is about an hour ....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post
Traxcat
post May 23 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #14

hughesjr said:

ifconfig tells you all about the IPs on your linux machine.

I just finished up a guide that installs a Mail Server from scratch and provides webmail, spam scanning, virus scanning, pop3 and imap ... and smtp auth.

When I use the "ifconfig" command on my debian system it says:
bash: ifconfig: command not found

Is there someplace I can go to read your mail server guide? A link perhaps?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 24 2004, 06:37 AM
Post #15

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Here is the Mail server guide.

Here is the LAMP Guide.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:03 AM