Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upgrading To 2.4.26, Problems with upgrading from 2.2.20
nikw
post May 12 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,930

I'm trying to upgrade my debian machine from the 2.2.20 kernel to 2.4.26 - primarily in order to make USB work (and hopefully to set up network bridging too, but that is something for another day). I've compiled the kernel and it boots up fine, but I've had a few problems - the current one is that the network card won't work (despite it working fine in 2.2.20). The kernel recognises the card (RealTek RTL8139), but all it will do is ping itself (using either 127.0.0.1 or the IP address it's set to in /etc/network/interfaces). If I try and ping anything else on the local network, it sits there for a few seconds then says "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out". If I check /var/log/syslog, I see the following few lines repeated over and over...

May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
May 12 10:58:20 detritus kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 12 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

While it can be done, mixing newer kernels with older installs is not necessarily good ... especially when changing major kernel versions (2.2.x to 2.4.x, 2.4.x to 2.6.x, etc.). This is because many things besides just the kernel usually need to be changed. (Init scripts sometimes need changes, scripts that load modules usually need changes, ... sometimes the c library needs to be patched/upgraded (for ntpl as an example), etc.

With lots of research, you can figure out everything that needs to be changed, but I have found that it is usually easier to build a new box and install a newer version ... then migrate the custom apps/data from the old box. (Or if the system can be down while converting (like for a workstation), add new drives, install the new OS, move stuff from the old OS to the new OS, remove the old OS).
---------------
Since you use debain, is to use a product like dselect to upgrade your system ....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 12:35 AM