Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Self-distro, How do you make a distro of your own?
odinsa
post May 11 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,751

OK, some of you know that I am a terrible newbie, and you could probably come up with many other names to describe me smile.gif

The thing is, despite the fact that I've hardly started to use Linux, I have several great ideas for a new distribution! I know it's lame, but I had a 'brainstorm' and... well, what can you do?

The chart is pretty full of alternatives right now, so I don't know how much need there is for yet another distro, but I've even got the name ready!

So, what I was wondering about is how does one make a distro? Is it very hard? Will I be able to do this myself after handling Linux for a while, or will I have to turn the 'geek' up a notch? Is there an easy (sissy) way to do this and a hard (man's-man) way? I am very comfortable with the easy way, if there is such a thing! When you've got the skills, is it alright to just compile and distribute, no questions asked, or will this get me sued?

Maybe the alternate path is to compile a group of passionate Linux-users (with the Knowledge) and lead the way. The ideas I've got for a distribution are, actually, mostly concerning the image - but that is devastatingly good! cool.gif Are you with me!? tongue.gif

Again, I'm very aware that this question may be incredibly na´ve and even stoopid, but I trust you won't make fun of me... that much...

OdinSA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
odinsa
post May 11 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,751

Crap...

Maybe my only solution is to advertise in strategic forums and gather some 'experts'. They cook up the distro and I handle the image/propaganda. Sounds like a plan... but who will be willing to support my plan knowing i am completely green?

It is very possible I'm just daydreaming.
Would be cool, though...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 01:59 PM