Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Securing My Mails & Password From Being Monitored
linuxuser
post May 10 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,917

Hello I am a new Linux user and don't know much about it. I just want to know that how can I find that if the system I am using is monitored for all the email or internet work I am doing on mozilla browser. I want to secure all my work from being monitored as I am in situtation with my boyfreind and he is hardcore linux person who used to use my system and had system rights on it. I don't even know how to disable all that. If there is a way I can secure my info on my system so he can't moitor from renote then please suggest

thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post May 11 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I don't know a whole lot about securing a system, but I can give you a few points that should help a bit.

First, as your regular day-to-day user, open up a console window (this could be Konsole, xterm, Eterm, whatever terminal-emulator that is on your desktop), and run "passwd". This will ask you for a new password, so you can change it to something that is not known to your ex. The second this is to type "su" and enter in your old "root" or "administrator" password, and then once again, enter in "passwd" and change the root password. This will prevent this other person from using the super-user privaliedges on your computer.

Also, while logged in as root, you may want to delete your ex's user account (if one exists) so he won't even be able to log into your system. To do this, type "userdel" followed by his username and press enter.

If you have mail coming in from a seperate system, you should change the password for that. It is hard to describe how to do this because you may be using localmail or you may be using your ISP provided email address. If it's an ISP provided email address, you should contact them and get instructions on changing the password for it. If your system acts as your mailserver, then the previous commands listed above will change your mail password too.

There are many more ways of securing your system, some of which include preventing anyone that doesn't have physical access to your computer from logging in and doing anything. If this is a fear to you, then please reply and we will try to provide instructions on doing this. When you reply, please include what distribution you are running on your system (could be something like SuSE, Redhat, Mandrake, etc.).

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
linuxuser
post May 15 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Thanks duende! for helping me. You asked about the distribution well it is Gentoos Linux Kernel 2.6.4. And I used passwd command it worked but the su command didn't worked as it was asking for sytem password maybe which I don't know. Yes I would like to know that how I can prevent someone who is not physically present at computer.
I am able to change my password with the command u told me but not the root password as I don't know the old one. Thanks

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post May 16 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The easiest way I know to change the root users password, when you don't know the current password, is still pretty hard.

You would have to boot via the Gentoo install CD, and know what your current /root directory is.

To figure out your current root directory, issue the the command (while a user on the current gentoo system):

mount

and you should see a result similar to this:
CODE
/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

In this case my root partition is /dev/hda3 .... if you don't know which partition is root (it is the one mounted to /) then post the results of the mount command and I will tell you ... it is critical that you have the proper root directory identified.

Also, while booted into the current install, write down the computer's hostname ... to see it do the command:

cat /etc/hostname

On my Gentoo PC the result is:

GentooTest
----------------------------
Now boot the gentoo 2004.0 install CD and at the prompt type:

smp and press return

(this will boot the 2.6 install kernel)

When all the detection is done and you are at the prompt, we need to mount your root partition (found above) to the /mnt/gentoo directory ... the command with my root partition (/dev/hda3) would be:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo

If that works, we will make sure you have mounted the root partition with the following command ... the result should be the hostname of your gentoo computer:

cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/hostname

The result should match the name you wrote down from the cat /etc/hostname above.

If everything is OK, we are ready to go into the gentoo install and change the root password ... issue the command:

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

issue the command to see the PCs hostname again ...

cat /etc/hostname

It should match the other two cat hostname commands we did ... if it does, you are in the proper install.

Now, issue the command:

passwd root

enter the new password that you want for root

re-enter the password

now exit the chroot with the command:

exit

now unmount the root partition with the command:

cd
umount /dev/hda3

(you would use your root partiton ... mine is /dev/hda3)

then reboot with the command:

reboot

remove the gentoo cd and boot from the hard drive.

You should be able to login as root with the new password and as your other user.

After you login as root, you should be able to do the userdel command to remove your ex's user (as duende said)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
linuxuser
post May 21 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Running mount on my user directory
meuser@Gandalf meuser $ mount

gives

/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/root on /tmp/.initrd type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win2k type vfat (rw,uid=1000,umask=022)
/dev/hda6 on /mnt/hda6 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type vfat (rw,umask=022)
/dev/hdb2 on /mnt/fedora type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdb6 on /mnt/hdb6 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hde1 on /mnt/backup type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

cat /etc/hostname gives

Gandalf

well does it show some security setting and also I found that he access the system from outside a friends told me.
I didn't find any Gentoo Linux Bootable CD at home. Can I download it from somewhere.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:35 AM