Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

> Distro-tip Me!
post May 5 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,751

I am a Windows-in-the-conversion-process user of Linux. That is, I have used Windows all my life, but I can't afford an upgrade, and I like Linux anyway!
I became aquainted with Linux through the old Red Hat 7.2 distro. Soon found out that it was outdated and that there were a LOT of alternative distros just waiting to be downloaded. After some research searching the net and my soul and my heart, I landed on Ark Linux - a fine European distro.

However, in my search I avoided the distros with text-based installations, even though I've never attempted to do one. I am not yet entirely comfortable with Linux-names and expressions, so some VITAL information about certain distros might have been lost on me! Therefore, I turn to you!

I am new to Linux, yes, but I'm not a complete computer-illiterate. I would prefer a distro without a time-consuming installation. If I get stuck I get very annoyed and reminded of the numerous times I've struggled with Windows. I am not, however, looking for a Win-clone - I've got Win98, that's more than enough! Also, I would like a distro that is up-to-date with applications, especially for multimedia, office and the internet. I do not expect to be developing anything for Linux in quite a while, so development-tools are not important to me.
Just to mention it, I've got an AMD Athlon, and I would like the distro to be free wink.gif

Please suggest anything that you think fits my 'requrements', minor or major distros. Go wild!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th March 2018 - 09:45 AM