Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Having Trouble With Modem
aceman61
post May 2 2004, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,876

I have made to move from windows to linux, Mandrake 10 community. I like it but i am having probelms with my modem. I have a Intel 536ep chipset modem. Mandrake detected it but it is not working. I can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone help me Please!!!!!!!!!!. Linux with KDE interface is very nice haven't had a crash, but i would like to access the internet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dishawjp
post May 3 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #2

./configure

Member No.: 2,734

That particular modem is a winmodem and probably not the best/easiest choice for a Linux user. Purchasing a "full" or "hardware" modem is the easiest solution. Good external modems can usually be purchased for between $25 and $50, can be easily moved from computer to computer, have cool flashing little LED's to watch while you're connecting, and look neat sitting next to your computer. Well, OK, so maybe they're not all that "cool" and "neat" but anyway...

If you really need/want to use the one you have, Linux drivers are available here:

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/int536.html#linux

Good luck, and enjoy your new Linux install.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw

--------------------
Registered Linux User 294493

+Quote Post
aceman61
post May 3 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 2,876

QUOTE (aceman61 @ May 2 2004, 04:15 PM)
I have made to move from windows to linux, Mandrake 10 community. I like it but i am having probelms with my modem. I have a Intel 536ep chipset modem. Mandrake detected it but it is not working. I can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone help me Please!!!!!!!!!!. Linux with KDE interface is very nice haven't had a crash, but i would like to access the internet.

i was wondering if some one can give me some detailed in structions on how to install my modem drivers. intel 536ep. Suppose to be a hardware based modem apparently it's not. I feel like bone head. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dishawjp
post May 4 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #4

./configure

Member No.: 2,734

OK aceman,

Here's the full scoop with step-by-step directions.

1) go to the following URL:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...x*&submit=Go%21

(this URL may wrap, so fix it in your browser if necessary)

Download the driver under section 1, file name is intel536-4.68.tgz

type the following commands:

su - root
<enter root password>
tar -zxvf intel536-4.68.tgz
cd (to the new directory, most likely intel536-4.68)
make clean
make 536
make install

This should install the drivers for you and get you up and running. As an alternative, you could look for a .rpm binary and install that instead. I found some for older versions of Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSE, but none specific to your distro. The older Mandrake would probably work and possibly Red Hat and maybe SuSE. I'm not a Mandrake kind of a guy, I prefer red hats and fedoras to French berets :-)

If you go to the URL I originally gave you:

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/int536.html#linux

and follow the links you will get pointers to all of those. If you download a .rpm file, install it as follows:

# rpm -Uvh <filename>.rpm

where <filename> indicates the name of the .rpm file, and # indicates that you're logged in as root.

HTH,

Jim Dishaw

--------------------
Registered Linux User 294493

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 01:09 AM