Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Redhat 9.0 Raid0 (stripe) Help!, software RAID0 issues with RedHat 9.0
lray
post Apr 29 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,852

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to linux, but have been a unix user for nearly a decade.

I am trying to setup a large file server/number cruncher using RedHat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20, on 2 160gb ATA-100 drives (no spare or extra drives).

I am trying to get a RAID0 array (as my only drive) to work on a fresh/clean install. I doesn't bother me if the RAID/IDE card is not supported by this kernel or distro as long as I can get RAID0 working in some form.

The catch is that I'd really like 1 big drive (i.e. 320gb). I'd like linux to partition these drives so that "swap", "/boot", and "/" span both drives with all of these partitions feeling the effect of the RAID0 striping.

In otherwords, I am not looking for swap to be one partition on one drive, and boot to be another partition on a single drive, and then stripe the remains.

I have purchased an SIL0680 ATA RAID card. RedHat 9 recognizes it as two separate drives even though the card's BIOS sees them as 1 large array. This hardware is currently lacking Linux drivers from SIL.

Is there any way to make all partitions span a RAID0 array and have it boot off of the array as well? and have swap there too? Another kernel, another distro?

I have read all of the HOW-TOs on RAID from: http://www.tldp.org/ but they really only discuss RAID1-mirroring issues. Or cheating RAID0 performance by booting off non-RAIDed partitions.

Thanks for anyhelp <!>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Apr 29 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I have never booted off a software RAID array ... although, I would think it might be possible to put all but the boot partition on software raid (and include the software RAID modules in the initrd.img).

I think it would be much safer though, to make the boot and root partitions not on software RAID. I say this because if you need to boot a rescue disk or some other thing, it might be much more complicated to fix the root partition if it is on software RAID.

The best bet would be to try and find hardware raid drivers for the card. (which I couldn't find either) Which would allow Linux to see the entire Array as one drive...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 02:56 AM