Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cable Modem, How do i set up my cable modem?
asha
post Dec 28 2002, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

Hi All,

Could someone please direct me to a step by step guide on how I can get my Red Hat 5.2 version of Linux to work with my Cable Modem?

Thanks,
Asha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 30 2002, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

On our Linuxhelp.ca Guide's Page there is a guide written by Joey called Cable Modem Guide by Joey. Have a look through this first, and if you run into any trouble, post your question here.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
asha
post Dec 30 2002, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Hi,

I actually did try to follow that guide a few months ago with no luck! BUt i'll try it again and hopefully you can help me out...

OK the first step says that I need to recompile my kernel with support for the ethernet card[B].

Does that mean that when recompiling my kernel I will need to provide some information about ethernet card??

Are there certain settings I need to select in my config file when I run the "make xconfig" command?

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 30 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Well, Redhat 5.2 is a fairly old version of redhat, that was the latest and greatest when I started with linux 4 years ago. Later versions of Redhat make it quick an dpainless to connect to the internet, so maybe you should look at that first.

Eithe rway, you need to find out what kind of nic you have, and recompile your kernel with that nic module included. For example, i have a Realtek 8139 ethernet card, so i place a (M) next to that option in the kernel's "make menuconfig" and it creates the module 8139too for me

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
bensode
post Jan 3 2003, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 164

I don't remember if Redhat 5.2 comes with DHCPCD package which most cable providers need to get an IP. I also remember back in my redhat days that Pump (the dhcp client) for Redhat was severly bugged. What you may want to try first is to dialup with a PPP account and get the dhcpcd.rpm and latest pump.rpm packages at the minimum. Otherwise, you should seriously consider running a more current version of Redhat ... at least 6.2. Is there any reason that you would want to run such an archaic version?

+Quote Post
asha
post Jan 3 2003, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Howdy,

Thanks for all that, there is no real reason why i need to use Red Hat 5.2..its just what i've had sitting here!

I'll get my self a newer version and try again! :-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 01:42 PM