Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple Sounds, Help...!
BloodKiller
post Oct 2 2002, 06:23 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Hi, i'm looking for a program, or sound driver that can run 2 or more sound programs together!
Like in windows...
i run halflife and winamp together!
is thins posible for linux 2?
I'm using slackware 8.1 and i have a esssolo1 audiodrive soundcard...
iff posible!
Tks
smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jul 15 2003, 09:08 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Yes, this is certainly possible using a sound server. There are a few sound servers available for Linux, but mostly rely on what Window Manager (or Desktop Environment) that you use. For example, if you are using the KDE desktop, you can run aRts which will take all sound outputted to it, and make it into one stream and send that to your sound device. I believe Gnome uses "Esound" for the same effect.

So, for example, if you wanted to play Quake3 and listen to MP3's at the same time, you can run XMMS, and if there is a sound server running, it will output to that. Then you need to start Quake3 using the aRts dsp wrapper by issuing the command:

artsdsp -m quake3

Note: In most of my experiences, artsdsp causes a slight delay in sound occurance, and when you actually hear it (somewhere between 0.1 seconds to 0.5 seconds. While under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be an issue, this could get annoying in a game like Quake3. However, I have recently installed Gentoo Linux, and I have no lag at all using the DSP wrapper for aRts, so maybe KDE has improved the code for it.

You should be able to use aRts in other window managers like Blackbox and Window Maker as well.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:04 AM