Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple Group Accounts, changeing an existeing user account
atapi103
post Apr 13 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,950

I have a regular user account and want to also be a member of the root group.
google tells me a user can be a member of mutiple groups but does not tell me how.

But maybe this is not the best solution, I have apache running, and /var/www/html is owned by root and I have no write permisions, I do not want to log in as root because its aparently unsafe to be root all the time. So I want my regular user account to have write permisions to the folder.

chmod 775 is no good because my user account is considered other, and 777 would be unsafe I think. So I dont want to give extra permisions to others. I concidered chown to my username, but then root would no longer be the owner, and I dont think this is desireable.

How do I change an existing user account to make it a member of other groups, and would you consider this the best solution to the problem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
atapi103
post Apr 13 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,950

I have since managed to correct the problem, and nolonger need the help, after finding a web site describeing the process.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Apr 13 2004, 06:35 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

You could have also changed the group of /var/www/html and all subdirectories to be owned by your group with:

chgrp -R your_group_name /var/www/html

so long as your primary group isn't users

---------------
OR
---------------

You could also have changed the root directory for html files to a directory where you own the directory and files....(in httpd.conf)
---------------
Having you in the root group shouldn't be that big of a deal... and yes, 777 would be bad smile.gif

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 02:20 PM