Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firewall Loss Of Connectivity, network cards drop out unexpectedly
Duncan
post Apr 9 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744

I would appreciate any help that can given regarding the following issue:

I run a small school network and use red hat 8.0 as the OS for the firewall box. It uses IPTABLES and two nics (realtek) and an adsl modem. It has been working very well for some months and yesterday both nics became unable to be pinged either from inside the LAN or from the internet. The adsl modem was switched to another machine and reconnected with no issues. All switch gear between the friewall and the network was removed and a single known good unit used to connect to my my laptop. Neither the laptop (known to be stable) or the firewall could ping the other.

IFCONFIG reveals that both nic interfaces are up and correctly configured as is the adsl connection.

We have even tried swapping the HDD tgo another identical machine knwon to have a good hardware set. As a linux newbie I am left with the conclusion that there is some OS daemon not running which is required and yes I have shutdown and restarted as per a good windows instal.

Any help here would be most greatfully received.

regards to all,
Duncan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:19 PM