Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Setting Up Cox Internet Cable Service
Krustyvision
post Apr 9 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,733

I am trying to get my cable internet up and running in mandrake 8.1. It is cox internet, and I did a google search which turned up some info, but not enough to get it working. One positive is I did notice alot of cox internet email addresses on various mailing list archives. I replaced the ancient NIC I had with a new network everywhere/linxsys card. At least now it will conect to the cable modem. But I cannot get any webpages to come up. I do have the name server IP numbers for my area from the tech support at cox, but I am unsure where the numbers need to go. The cable modemdoes ping good. I have tried both manually configuring the connection and auto detect upon install. Which is the correct form of dhcp? dhcpcd, dhcpxd or dhcp-client? Upon booting the system fails to bring up interface lo. Also should I configure it as a Lan even if it is just one computer or cable connection?

I am trying to do this setup in X as I know enough to know I don't know the command lines. Using drake config all I can really tell is that it is recieving data. But it fails to connect to the internet. I tried to set it up a number of ways.

With netconf what should I put in the host names and ip network boxes? In the box for host name+domain I have "localhost.localdomain" Adaptor 1 is enabled and config mode is set to dhcp. The net mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the net device is eth0. The kernel module is tulip (inst) Digital 21x4x based ethernet.

DNS was basically blank when I put in the two sets of name server IPs. it changed nothing about being able to access the internet.

I am using another computer running winxp to post this, and I am afraid I may have to go back to windows land if I can't get mandrake going. I have tried to install mandrake 10 but it won't boot from the cd. And I could not get it to make a boot floppy in either windowsxp or mandrake 8.1. Would mandrake 10 solve any of my problems though?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Apr 9 2004, 06:09 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Try booting from Mandrake 10 Community CD-2 and swap in CD-1 when it asks....

You are better off with a newer distro if the machine is able to do it (at least mandrake 9.0, if possible, 9.2 or 10 would be better still). I don't recommend 8.1 because it is not supported by mandrake any longer.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Apr 9 2004, 06:13 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

As to your other question, localhost.localdomain is fine.

If set to DHCP, it should work, and give you DNS servers and a default gateway.

It is probably a firewall issue, but I don't have a Mandrake 8.1 to test on.

Does it use iptables or ipchains?
------------------

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Krustyvision
post Apr 9 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,733

QUOTE (hughesjr @ Apr 9 2004, 06:09 AM)
Try booting from Mandrake 10 Community CD-2 and swap in CD-1 when it asks....

You are better off with a newer distro if the machine is able to do it (at least mandrake 9.0, if possible, 9.2 or 10 would be better still). I don't recommend 8.1 because it is not supported by mandrake any longer.

thanks,the second disk trick worked. I am in the middle of the install. I will let you know how it goes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:18 AM